18 May 2009

Dan Deacon Tour Concludes - Sick Video

Since being unwillingly dragged to a free Dan Deacon show in St. Louis more than a year ago, I have become an avid fan of his chipmunk-churned, hyperactive, insane music style that comes together for the most fun, unique concerts that I have ever attended. In St. Louis, I was immersed in the body sweat of the people surrounding me, pummeled by elbows, broken up into teams for a dance-off competition, and then forced through a tunnel of sweaty armpits and I still cannot recall any concert that I have gone to where I have had more fun. His music throbbed throughout the entire room and pulled the otherwise unenthused St. Louis audience to the brink of ridiculous.

I have seen him a handful of times since going to school in Jersey and having such easy access to New York City and have been greeted by a more passionate and willing fan base which often makes it easy to lose oneself in the sea of jumping chaos during his shows. His style has remained and his new album Bromst proves to be more accessable as he has utilized more traditiona instruments (if a glokenspiel can be considered the least bit traditional). He has also taken on an entire ensemble to bring greater complexity to his shows. My ONLY critique of the new setup is that the ensemble tends to blur the sound that Dan is striving to achieve during his shows and makes songs like "Snookered" actually much more simple and less danceable than the album version. I will, again, give Dan Deacon and the ensemble the benefit of the doubt, however, as I saw them at NYU at the very begining of their tour, AND this awesome video provided by NPR makes my heart skip a beat as I am reminded of my first Dan Deacon experience.

NPR Video

1 comment:

  1. My soul yearns for william!

    The show I saw in Chicago was different, but still almost as fun as the one in St. Louis. He's losing his ability to control the crowd as it gets larger and larger but he's just as awesome as ever. He played on the floor with his arm in a sling. BADASS.

    ReplyDelete